Monday, March 16, 2009

Prayer and reflection #5

First Reading: 2 Kings 5:1-5
Psalm: Psalm 42:2-3; 43:3-4Luke 4:24-30
Gospel: Luke 4:24-30

Lord, I don't understand very much the meaning and significance of the readings for today. What do you want to tell me, Lord? Is it this -- that a heart that is bent on disbelieving will never find You? Naaman initially had faith that he will be healed, and he almost changed his mind when Elisha the prophet instructed him to wash himself in the river Jordan. His heart was weighed down, I guess, with prejudice and pride. He seems to be saying, "Is the river Jordan better than the rivers in Damascus?" But deep in his heart he was longing for You, Lord, for what else could have changed his mind if it was not for his longing for You? He was afflicted by his disease, and he longed for healing. And he saw that his healing can only come from a supernatural source -- from a "god". He showed humility by his actions and chose to obey Elisha anyway. And behold -- he was healed, and he exclaimed, "Now I know that there is no God in all the earth, except in Israel," convinced that he had found the Truth.

Lord, wasn't it different for the people at the synagogue in Nazareth? Their hearts were weighed down by prejudice. They believed that no good can come out of Nazareth. They did not have humility. They closed their hearts, even if You invited them to believe the idea that You are a prophet. Unlike Naaman, they did not see themselves as in need of saving. They did not acknowledge the affliction of their sins. They did not see themselves as in need of healing, so they did not search after You. So they didn't find You. They even drove You out and tried to do harm to You.

Lord, please help me to know in my very bones that I am in need of healing. Remind me always, Lord, that I am sick because of sin. Help me to search after You always in my heart. You are my Healer. You are the Great Physician, the healer of souls.

Amen.