Sunday, March 15, 2009

Prayer and reflection #4

First Reading: Exodus 20:1-17 or 20:1-3, 7-8, 12-17
Psalm: Psalm 19:8-11
Second Reading: 1 Corinthians 1:22-25
Gospel: John 2:13-25


Lord, as the Psalmist said, You have the words of everlasting life. Every word that You say, Oh Lord, is true, and they are spoken for our own good. You want what is best for us, Lord, and because You created us, You know us and You know what is best for us. You know, Oh Lord, that if we worship anything else besides You, we shall lose our lives, we shall go astray, because You created us for Yourself. All good things come from You. All life comes from You, and all is created for You. My purpose in life, Lord, is to be with You, because I came from You, and it is to You alone that I shall return.

Lord, please help me to keep holy the Sabbath day. Please help me also to keep Your temple holy, and everything that You own holy. You created me, Oh God. It is true what St. Paul said, my body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, therefore I should keep it holy, too. I should always remind myself that I possess dignity as a human being, and I should always respect myself. Lord, You do not want to see our bodies, our souls, our hearts and our minds harmed by sin, because You love us, and You do not want to see Your own children defiled and destroyed.