Saturday, March 14, 2009

Prayer and reflection #3

First Reading: Micah 7:14-15, 18-20
Psalm: Psalm 103:1-4, 9-12
Gospel: Luke 15:1-3, 11-32

Lord, I think about the Gospel reading for today and beautiful and poignant images come to my mind: the tax collectors and sinners drawing near You to listen to You; the son in the parable trying to eat with swines; his father running towards him, looking at him with compassion, and hugging and kissing him, when he decided to go home; his father celebrating his return with a feast. These are all beautiful and poignant images, Lord.

The tax collectors and sinners were drawn to You because You came here for them, for us. They were drawn because they felt in their bones the effects of sin -- emptiness, sadness, depression, etc. When they saw You, it was like they have seen the light, and indeed You are the Light. They have seen and heard your words, and they were balm to their aching souls. I am a great sinner, Lord, just like the tax collectors, and I, too, am drawn to You. I am like the son in Your parable. My sins have left me spiritually bankrupt, and I feel like I am dining in the pods with swines. How beautiful, Oh Lord, is the image of the Father who was filled with compassion for his son. Your response, Lord, to sinners like myself must also be the same -- You are full of compassion, and You run towards me to embrace and kiss me when I turn away from my sins and return to You. Heaven must be celebrating with a feast every time a sinner is reconciled back to You.